History

I. Founding

Built between 1561 and 1566, the pavilion was owned by Fan Qin, who had recently resigned from his post as a high-ranking military official of the Ming dynasty, and returned to his hometown. The pavilion sits to the east of Fan’s residence, and was named “Tianyi Pavilion”. It housed a book collection of approximately 70,000 volumes.

II. Before 1949 (Founding of the People’s Republic of China)

In October 1933, a committee was formed to oversee the renovation of the Tianyi Pavilion. Chen Baolin was nominated as the President of the committee .Four sub-committees were set up: administration, public relations, construction, and finance.

In February 1947, the Tianyi Pavilion Commission, a civilian organization of 27 members, was founded, headed by Yu Jimin (Director), Chen Youhua, and Zhou Dalie (Vice-Directors). The commission has four subcommittees, responsible for administration, book maintenance, fundraising, and financial affairs.

In May 1945, Ningbo was liberated by the PLA. On June 9th, 1945, the administration of Tianyi Pavilion was handed over to the local Military Control Commission’s Education Department. The Classics Library was converted into the Museum of Historical Artefacts, with Fan Luqi as Director, responsible for managing Tianyi Pavilion at the same time. 

In September 1951, the then Ningbo Municipal Education Bureau decided to merge the Museum of Historical Artefacts (Tianyige) with the Yinxian Regional Archives and the Committee of Historical Documents. Ma Yamin was named as the Head of the Museum of Historical Artefacts. In April that year Qiu Sibin was named Curator of the Museum of Historical Artefacts.

In February 1960 the Ningbo Municipal Commission for Historical Artefact Preservation was founded at Tiayige. The vice-mayor of Ningbo at the time, Zhou Wenxiang, was to be its Director. In November, Yu Yizhong became the Commission’s full-time Deputy Director. The Commission’s general office was merged with the administration office of Tianyige. The new office was headed by Qiu Sibin. In the same year, the institution “Museum of Historical Artefacts” was dissolved. 

In February 1970, it was decided by the Municipal Revolutionary Committee that the staff of the Municipal Commission for Historical Artefact Preservation and the Ningbo Library were to be merged, forming the “Ningbo Library and Museum”. In July 1971, a Revolution Leadership Group was established at the new institution, with Fang Bing as its head. 

In Februrary 1978, the provincial bureau of culture gave approval for the establishment of the Ningbo Tianyige Historical Artefact Hall. The date of establishment was in June that year. In September, the Qiu Sibin was named as the Director, followed by Cai Canzhen and Luo Zhaoping. 

III. 1994 to Present

In November 1994, the Ningo Museum was merged with Tianyige, and the new institution became the “Ningbo Tianyige Museum”. The new institution was given permission to recruit no more than 35 tenured staff, and has seven departments including the general office, office for construction, office for research, office for historical artefacts, office for security, office for public relations, and an antiques trading center. 

In May 1995, Meng Jianyao was named Curator of the Tianyige Museum by the Municipal Bureau of Culture. 

In 1996, the number of tenured staff the museum is allowed to recruit was increased to 43. 

In 1998, the Hall of Regional Historical Records was opened inside the museum. 

In 2004, the Tianfeng Ta (Tianfeng Tower), Baiyun Zhuang (White Cloud Mansion), Gulou (Drum Tower), and two other locations became off-site locations of the Tianyige Museum, to be managed and preserved by the museum.  

In May 1998, Xu Liangxiong was named Curator of the Tianyige Museum. 

In August 2005, Yu Haoxu was named Curator of the Tianyige Museum. 

In May 2007, after restructuring, a total of 7 departments were set up: general administration office, department of security, the archive and research department, the public education department, the department of exhibits and displays, the department of restoration, and the department for historical artifact protection. 

In August 2012, the museum was permitted to recruit 15 more tenured staff. 4 among the 15 are permitted to be promoted to the rank of Medium-Level Officials. After this increase, there were a total of 58 tenured positions at the museum, with 16 among them permitted to be promoted to the rank of Official. Those responsible for most of the leadership could be promoted to the rank of Vice-Bureau-Director if need be.

In February 2013, Zhuang Lizhen was named Curator of the Tianyige Museum.

In February 2014, Zhuang Lizhen was named Party Secretary of Tianyige Museum. 

In March 2014, the number of tenured positions in the institution was adjusted to 56. In May 2014, the number of Medium-Level Officials the museum is allowed to have is changed to 11. 


A List of Tianyige’s Past Directors (1949-2007)


Time of office   
Name   
Title   
1949 to Sept. 1951
Fan Luqi
Director of the Museum of Historical Artefacts
Sept. 1951 – Mar. 1959
Ma Yamin
Head of the Museum of Historical Artefacts
Apr. 1959 – May 1960
Qiu Sibin
Curator of the Museum of Historical Artefacts
Jun. 1960 – Feb. 1970
Zhou Wenxiang
Director of the Municipal Commission for Historical Artefact Preservation
Nov. 1962 – Jan. 1971
Yu Yizhong

Party Secretary of the Ningbo Municipal CPC Committee for Historical Artefact Preservation

Jul. 1971 – Sept. 1978
Fang Bing

Party Secretary of the Ningbo Library and Museum CPC Committee and Head of the Revolution Leadership Group

Oct. 1982 – May 1989
Qiu Sibin

Party Secretary of the Tianyige Historical Artefact Hall

Sept. 1978 – Feb. 1991
Director of the Tianyige Historical Artefact Hall
May 1989 – Jul. 1992
Wu Xiangdong 

Party Secretary of the Tianyige Historical Artefact Hall

Feb. 1991 – May 1992
Cai Canzhen
Director of the Tianyige Historical Artefact Hall
May 1992 – Nov. 1994
Luo Zhaoping

Party Secretary and Director of the Tianyige Historical Artefact Hall

May 1995 – Apr. 1998
Meng Jianyao
Party Secretary of the Tianyige Historical Artefact Hall
May 1995 – Dec. 2000
Curator of the Ningbo Tianyige Museum
May 1998 – Jul. 2005
Xu Liangxiong
Curator of the Ningbo Tianyige Museum
Dec. 2000 – Jun. 2002
Wu Xiangdong
Party Secretary of the Ningbo Tianyige Museum
Jun. 2002 – Jul. 2005
Xu Jiongming
Deputy Party Secretary of the Ningbo Tianyige Museum
Aug. 2005 – Dec 2007
Yu Haoxu
Party Secretary of the Ningbo Tianyige Museum
Aug. 2005 – Jul. 2012
Curator of the Ningbo Tianyige Museum
Dec. 2007 – Feb. 2013
Yuan Fangfang
Party Secretary of the Ningbo Tianyige Museum

Feb. 2013 - present

Zhuang Lizhen
Curator of the Ningbo Tianyige Museum

   Feb. 2014 - present

Zhuang Lizhen

Party Secretary of the Ningbo 

          Tianyige Museum




Produced By 大汉网络 大汉版通发布系统